SFI takes pride in its mission statement: “Producing quality pork and creating opportunities for rural communities”. The development of an internship program is just another avenue for creating opportunities for rural communities; in this case, by awarding a “real life” experience to college students by having them experience the various employment opportunities in the agricultural sector.
The SFI internship program showcases the following benefits:
- Discover hands-on, “real life” experience throughout the entire production system (breeding, gestation, farrowing, gilt development, nurseries, finishers)
- Explore production focus area of your choice
- Tour research barn, feedmill, & processor, as available
- Shadow vets & managers
- Engage in an independent research project(s), if applicable
- Participate in supervisory and production meetings
- Garner valuable feedback from supervisory staff
- Earn competitive compensation, including housing
- The intent of the schedule is to demonstrate the timeline for each area of production. Schedule will be flexible based on student’s availability, time needed for project and SFI production.
- Schwartz Farms, Inc. will make an effort to accommodate a student who wishes to focus on a particular area of interest.
- Compensation rate – please inquire for current rates.
- Housing is provided if needed.
- Interns will be reimbursed the IRS standard mileage rate for any mileage incurred on their personal vehicle above normal commute miles.
- Interns must be able to provide proper identification for employment eligibility. Interns will also be expected to comply with the policies established in the SFI Employee Handbook.
- Due to Bio-Security, interns cannot work with any other swine or reside with someone who is working in another swine production system for the duration of the Internship Program.
- Reliable transportation is required.
- Candidates will be seeking a degree with emphasis in swine, animal sciences, or similar concentration, and a career in the pork industry or related profession. Ideal candidates will be in their final two years of study. Two-ten candidates will be selected for the program. Internships are based in Sleepy Eye, MN or Leigh, NE.
Watch the video below & learn more about our internship program!
If interested in our Sleepy Eye, MN summer 2021 internship program, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Schwartz Farms, Inc.
Attn: Emily/Human Resources
32296 190th Street
Sleepy Eye, MN 56085
If interested in our Leigh, NE summer 2021 internship program, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Schwartz Farms, Inc.
Attn: Mirna/Human Resources
PO Box 306/156 Main Street
Leigh, NE 68643
Interviews start in September and go until positions are filled (usually November or December)!
Apply today! We’d love to have you be a part of the Schwartz Farms family this summer!