SFI takes pride in its mission statement: “Producing quality pork and creating opportunities for rural communities”. The development of an internship program is just another avenue for creating opportunities for rural communities; in this case, by awarding a “real life” experience to college students by having them experience the various employment opportunities in the agricultural sector.
It is the intent of SFI to provide the following values to its interns:
- Hands on experience throughout the entire production system
- Independent research project(s), if applicable
- Presence at supervisory and production meetings
- Feedback at supervisory and production meetings
- Feedback from supervisory staff
- Competitive compensation, and
- Housing, if applicable
- The intent of the schedule is to demonstrate the timeline for each area of production. Schedule will be flexible based on student’s availability, time needed for project and SFI production.
- Schwartz Farms, Inc. will make an effort to accommodate a student who wishes to focus on a particular area of interest.
- Compensation rate – please inquire for current rates.
- Housing is provided if needed.
- Interns will be reimbursed the IRS standard mileage rate for any mileage incurred on their personal vehicle above normal commute miles.
- Interns must be able to provide proper identification for employment eligibility. Interns will also be expected to comply with the policies established in the SFI Employee Handbook.
- Due to Bio-Security, interns cannot work with any other swine or reside with someone who is working in another swine production system for the duration of the Internship Program.
- Reliable transportation is required.
- Candidates will be seeking a degree with emphasis in swine, animal sciences, or similar concentration, and a career in the pork industry or related profession. Ideal candidates will be in their final two years of study. Two-six candidates will be selected for the program.
If interested in our summer 2019 internship program, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Schwartz Farms, Inc.
Attn: Emily/Human Resources
32296 190th Street
Sleepy Eye, MN 56085
Interviews start in September and go until positions are filled (usually November or December)!